Love creation and respect the world
Like any other product, chairs and furniture have an environmental impact: first they are produced (which requires materials and energy), packaged and transported, then they are maintained and repaired throughout their life, and finally they are recycled.
Today more than ever, we believe that environmental quality is every bit as important as production, creativity and innovation.
Since 2006 and the Legend collection, Roche Bobois has demonstrated its commitment to responsible development and ecology. We have created an eco-design program that allows us to improve the environmental profile of our products and to measure those improvements.
Eco6: Roche Bobois’ measuring tool
To measure our environmental impact and help us decrease it, we have established our own qualitative evaluation matrix. It allows us develop new eco-friendly products, but also to rethink our existing ones.
This tool is based on 6 criteria:
1. Type of used materials (renewable resources, recyclable or reusable materials...)
2. Applied finishes and colors (natural, hydro varnish, polyurethane varnish...)
3. Average lifespan of the product, calculated according to the criteria of the FCBA: "l'Institut Technologique Forêt Cellulose Bois-construction Ameublement" (technological institute specialized in wood furniture and forest protection)
4. Disassembly (partial or total, which helps optimize transport)
5. Separability of used materials (partial or total, which determines if they can be recycled at the end of the product’s life)
6. Number of used materials (which limits the number of recycling procedures at the end of the products' life and facilitates separability).
Each product is evaluated on those 6 criteria, each graded from 1 to 4. The final score for the product is the average of all 6 grades.
Products with a score of 3 or higher are considered eco-designed*. We have already evaluated a hundred products, which represents approximately 80% of our product line.
The logo that you can notice on certain products indicates that we consider them “eco-designed”. Detailed information about their main environmental characteristics is available in our stores.
LEGEND: The first collection with an eco-design
In 2005, in collaboration with the VIA, within the framework of operation "EcoDesign Bois Bourgogne", and anxious as a publisher to place its activity in the context of the preservation of natural resources and sustainable development, Roche Bobois joined Christophe Delcourt in designing a collection addressing these new challenges in the field of contemporary furniture. Thus was born Legend, library and console in a limited edition of 250 pieces signed by the Designer, addressing the sensitivity of consumers becoming more civically involved through their purchases, or simply sensitive to the metaphor of nature.
PEFC certified wood / PEFC LOGO ATTENTION, we do not have the right to use numbers.
Acceptance of the wood knots, mesh ... / ZOOM WOOD
Choose the mode of assembly: half-gluing wood without hardware / ANGLE ZOOM
Bohème : The 1st sofa tending towards eco-design.
With the implementation of materials and manufacturing processes respecting the environment wherever possible, Roche Bobois continues its commitment to sustainable development. That consists in using, for this sofa, only products coming from renewable sources and controlled through suppliers whose production techniques meet ecological requirements.
Seat cushions composition angle of 330 individually pocketed springs in a cotton cover.
Structure of beech wood from sustainable forests, recycled and sustainable, FSC certified.
Suspension ensured by strapping jute 100%.
Coverings are 100% cotton, preshrunk without chemicals.
Back cushions 100% feathers wrapped in a cloth cotton.
Fossile : naturally eco-conceived.
Design: El Oulhani, Garzon & Sionis.
Made by terra cotta extrusion, Fossile answers the commitments of Roche Bobois in eco-design.
Basis for reducing the ecological footprint were:
- For easy recycling, a 100% mono-material, without separating different materials,
- The use of clay, a natural material available in abundance (albeit non-renewable) and fully recyclable terracotta is convertible into grog to be re-injected into new clays,
- The principle of a small stackable module, scalable and easier to use.
Single material and recyclable.
Small stackable module, scalable and easier to use.